Monday, August 29, 2011

Weekend Rewind, and a Look Ahead

We had another fairly quiet weekend here at 4 Pears, I hope you did too!  Though we watched the non-stop Hurricane coverage on CNN, the only weather we experienced here was sunshine and the sweltering 110+ degree heat that kept us inside quite a bit.

Saturday morning we had to take our poor little Claire in to the vet for a toenail injury.  She broke it really high up and the little girl was limping around in pain.  Alex and I were too wimpy to cut it off ourselves so in she went to the vet, and out she came- with a blue paw and a $100 invoice.  Ouch.

I think her paw looks kind of cute though, and she is feeling much better

Saturday afternoon I made my third and final (for a while at least!) attempt at homemade brownies.  My first attempt could barely be considered chocolate, my second attempt was drier than sand.  The third attempt tasted great!  Chocolate and Peanut Butter Swirl, yum.

But it stuck to the pan.  As you can see, we ate them anyway.

The brownies will not best me; I will try again.  Just not for a while.  I need a brownie break.  If anyone has a great homemade recipe, please send it to me!!

Saturday evening Alex hung out with friends and watched people trying to kill each other  the UFC fight, while I relaxed at home with a good book and ate leftovers from a BBQ we went to on Friday.

Our only excitement Sunday was a trip to Whole Foods for some fish which we poached for dinner.  It was our first attempt at poaching fish and it turned out really good.  We'll definitely work on perfecting it so we can pass it on.

On to a new week! Here's a look at what's to come.

Tuesday- How To Tuesday- Buttercream Icing!  Super easy and delicious, versatile and easy to work with...no need to buy that tub at the grocery store ever again!

Wednesday- We'll put the buttercream icing to good use on a trial run birthday cake.  Two handsome boys are turning one in just a few weeks!  I bought some little cake pans so they can each have their own cakes and I want to test them out, along with a new cake recipe, before the big day.

Thursday- Burgers...did anyone notice?  I was supposed to post about burgers last week and totally forgot due to the awesomeness that is Pineapple Fried Rice.  I promise to remember to share the burgers this week instead.

Friday- Homemade Challah.  Challah is the best bread for French Toast!  This dense and eggy bread is so pretty and though it does take a few hours from start to finish, it really isn't hard to make.   

Lots of yummy stuff to look forward to this week. I hope you enjoy it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment