Thursday, August 11, 2011

Peach Crisp

The very first weekend I started this blog...a whole TWO months ago, (whew, a long time!)  I tried to make my Grandma's peach pie and failed.  My filling was runny and I ended up turning my peach pie into peach pancake topping.

And while my pancake topping was delicious, and reminded me of my many visits to IHOP while pregnant with the twins, I was obviously disappointed.  Last weekend I decided to make another attempt at a peach dessert.  But this time I decided to leave the pie to Grandma and make a crisp instead.  I love crisps!  How can anyone not love the crumbly mixture of butter and sugar?  Yum.


I found a recipe on allrecipes.com, I really like that site a lot.  There are tons of different versions of just about anything you can think of.  My favorite part, though, are the reviews.  There are always a ton of reviews and just about no one ever actually follows the recipes.  Instead of bland reviews you get a bunch of peoples' variations and opinions.  I like to read them and take some advice here and there and usually end up with something pretty great. Like this!

Juicy Peach Crisp, adapted from CLYN on allrecipes.com
6 fresh peaches; pealed, pitted, and sliced
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 c. old fashioned or quick oats
1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. white sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter

To begin I blanched the peaches to remove the skins easily.  To do that you just bring enough water to cover the peaches to a boil.  Cut a shallow X into the bottom of each peach.  Place the peaches in the boiling water for 30 seconds to 1 minute.  You'll know they are done when you see the skins start to peel away from the X.  Remove with tongs and let cool.  Once they are cool the skin just slips off!

Preheat the oven to 375 F. While the peaches are cooling, mix together the oats, flour, sugars, cinnamon and salt. Cut the butter into chunks and add them to the bowl as well.  Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or just a table knife.  Once the butter is incorporated your mix will be crumbly and delicious.  Grease an 8 x 8 baking dish or a medium size oval dish with butter and put your sliced peaches inside.  Sprinkle over the almond extract.  Top with your crumble mixture.  Put the crisp into the oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly.  Serve warm with ice cream!   

No comments:

Post a Comment