Friday, August 12, 2011

For Mom

My Mom specially requested a post on this side dish so, even though it is another Ina recipe, here it is!  Confetti Corn!

To be honest I wasn't too excited about trying this recipe out, even though it is found in what could be my favorite cookbook ever.  I don't know...a corn side dish just seemed kind of boring I guess.  In the summer I really like corn grilled right on the cob.  Unfortunately, though, I live in the desert and the corn here can be less than stellar.  This year it seems really bad for some reason.  My corn needed some help this summer and Ina came to the rescue. We served this to my mom when she came to visit and it was a huge hit.  Even I was surprised by how tasty it was! This is a great side dish for just about anything.  Burgers? yes.  Grilled Chicken? yes.  I'm planning on having it again with some steak fajitas (and maybe a margarita) on Saturday.  This dish is light and buttery, and the orange bell pepper and fresh basil really make it a stand out.

Confetti Corn, by Ina Garten and found in Back to Basics
2 Tbsp good olive oil
1/2 c. chopped red onion
1 small orange bell pepper, 1/2 inch diced
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
Kernels cut from about 5 ears of corn (4 cups)
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
2 Tbsp. julienned fresh basil, minced chive, or parsley (I used basil)


Over medium heat, heat the olive oil in a large pan.  Add the onions and saute them for about 5 minutes, then add the bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes more.  Next add the butter to your pan.  Once it has melted, add the corn, salt and pepper.  Cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat and stir in your basil or other herbs.  Remove to a large bowl for serving and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment