Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Sneaky Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Ok, I have another sneaky hidden vegetable recipe for you. When I read over this recipe I honestly thought that the odds of this one actually being good were like 50 : 50. But since Oatmeal cookies sounded kind of delicious and tricking my kids into eating more veggies is my new mission, I figured I would give them a whirl anyway.

I'm really glad I did give this recipe a try because these cookies are good! I mean, even if your toddler eats all their veggies with no fuss, and I have to wonder...do toddlers like that even exhist? Anyway even if you are super blessed and your little monsters eat veggies these are worth making. Or maybe you don't have toddlers or kids? Still try them, you can never have too many veggies (or cookies).

And dont freak out when you read the ingredients. Yeah I know cookies made with zucchini and whole wheat flour sound yucky...they aren't I promise!



Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, adapted from Jessica Seinfeld in Deceptively Delicious
1 zucchini or 1/2 cup zucchini puree
1 banana, fork mashed into a puree
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar (I used dark but light works too)
6 tablespoons room temperature butter
1 large egg white
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Before you get started on the cookies you need to puree the zucchini. Now is also a good time to take the butter out of the fridge if you havent already. To puree the zucchini just chop it into a few big chunks and put it in a steamer basket set over an inch of boiling water. Cover the pot and steam for about 8 minutes. Once done, put the succhini in the food processor or blender and blitz until smooth.

In a small bowl mix tgether the flour, oats, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl mix the butter and brown sugar together with a wooden spoon just until combined. This is a soft dough so dont bother with your mixer for this one. Add in your zucchini puree (it should be about half a cup), your banana puree and the egg white and stir to combine. Now mix in the dry ingredients just until combined. Lastly stir in the raisins and nuts if you are adding them.

Line two cookie sheets with silplats or parchment paper. Spray the paper with non-stick cooking spray if you arent using silplats. Drop dough by tablespoons onto the trays. Bake for about 12 minutes.



Remove the trays from the oven and let the cookies cool a minute or two before transferring them to wire racks to finish cooling.



I hope you love these as much as we do! Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. What's your oven temp? How many cookies does it make? Is the banana flavor overpowering? My little bits love cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete