Friday, July 29, 2011

Turkey Meatloaf for my Turkeys

A finger food favorite around here lately is turkey meatloaf.  The twins love it and so do the dogs.  My kids have finally discovered the joys of throwing their food to the dogs on the floor below, woo hoo!  And poor Taco already had a slight weight problem...

Turkey Meatloaf
1 lb ground turkey (I use 90/10)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
4 carrots, grated
1 c. bread seasoned bread crumbs
1 large egg
salt and pepper

Over medium heat saute the onions and green peppers until soft, about 7 minutes.  Meanwhile grate the carrots.  I use the grater disk on my food processor which is super quick.  Put the ground turkey and egg and carrots into a large mixing bowl along with the cooked veggies and bread crumbs. Since this is generally just for the kids I usually add just a pinch of salt and pepper. The veggies really give this meatloaf its flavor.  Combine all the ingredients with your hands!  Put the meat into a loaf pan and bake on 350 F for an hour.  After it is cool I cut this into meal size portions for the freezer.  Just put a frozen portion in the refrigerator to thaw overnight and dinner (or lunch) is served!
I think this means he likes it
It's obvious the dogs do too...

3 comments:

  1. I stumbled on your blog because I was looking for the sweet potato pancake recipe from Start Fresh online so I didn't have to type it up to share it with someone! :o) My daughter is about the same age as your boys and I've been making her baby food, too. She's usually eating whatever we have for dinner now but sometimes it's not baby-friendly and I've been wanting to have some protein foods I could thaw for her on those nights - going to try this meatloaf! I love the addition of carrots! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, haha, guess this was 2011. My daughter is about a year younger than your boys, then. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found us, even if it is a year later. :) It was nice to look back on this old post the pictures of my little guys cracked me up!
      I hope you really enjoy the turkey meatloaf. My boys are pretty good eaters but it is always nice to be able to sneak in a few extra hidden veggies.

      Delete