Friday, July 13, 2012

Strawberries Everywhere!

My boys eat a lot of fruit.  Before I had kids my mother was always telling me I should eat more fruit, because I rarely ate any.... now I feel like we are buying a ton of it every week at the store.  And since fruit tastes much better when it is in season (and on sale!)  I bought a huge "crate" of strawberries last week.  Mr. Pears sliced them all up so they'd be ready for the kiddos to munch on but a person can only eat so many strawberries.  So I made a strawberry pie and some strawberry muffins!  Yum.  Here are two great recipes in case you have a strawberry surplus...or if you just want some pie....or a muffin.  :)



Rustic Strawberry Pie from A Pretty Life in the Suburbs.  This pie is super easy to make.  You use a sheet of puff pastry dough for the crust and just toss the strawberries with some corn starch and sugar.  It is really good but it is certainly all strawberry so serve it with generous dollop of homemade whipped cream.

Meyer Lemon Strawberry Muffins from My Baking Addiction.  I've made these muffins a couple of times and I really like them.  Sweet but not too sweet, the hint of lemon is delicious.  I made the muffins with a regular lemon I had in the house this time and they were just as good. But.... no picture.  I ate the last of them   a few minutes ago....oops.  Well that isn't true.  There are six in the freezer because I always freeze half of my muffins.  Muffins don't last very long before the get either dry from being left out, or mushy from being in a container.  They do thaw really well though so freezing is a great option if you find you need more than two or three days to eat all of them.  Unfortunately frozen muffins aren't very photogenic though, oh well.  Click over to My Baking Addiction, plenty of good pictures to go with the recipe.  :)

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment