Monday, June 11, 2012

Homemade Fabric Softener

Fabric Softener is actually something I don't use often.  I really feel like my homemade laundry detergent leaves the clothes and towels quite soft enough but Mr Pears likes to use it sometimes so I figured I would try making some to go along with my other DIY cleaners.

I was especially happy to do it when I found this "recipe" on Frugal Girls that uses Suave Naturals Conditioner.  I somehow managed to acquire two bottles of this stuff and I can't stand using it on my hair.  I hate it so much I refuse to inflict it on guests either so this was the perfect solution.  1 bottle makes two batches of softener and the conditioner is only $1 a bottle.  Add in the minimal cost of some vinegar and this stuff is a very inexpensive alternative to buying fabric softener.

Just to test it out I used it on our sheets the other day and it seemed to work fine.  I used Coconut Natural Conditioner so the smell was nice too. :)




Homemade Fabric Softener, adapted from Frugal Girls
1 cup Suave Naturals Conditioner (I used Coconut)
3 cups hot water
1 1/2 cups white vinegar

Put the conditioner into a medium sized bowl and whisk in the hot water to dissolve the conditioner.  Stir in the vinegar.  Let it cool a bit then pour it into a container to store it in.

I used an empty V8 Fusion bottle to store this, it holds 46 fl. oz.  This is only half of the original "recipe" given on Frugal Girls but I thought this size would be better for me because it allows me to give the bottle a little shake before using (the conditioner will settle a little), and it is a nice size for easy pouring into the little downy ball I use for softener.  Of course this does mean I will have to make the softener more often but I think I can spare the 5 minutes for the ease of use of the smaller bottle.



No comments:

Post a Comment