Friday, March 8, 2013

Veggies for Breakfast

Not so long ago I was writing about hiding veggies in various dishes to get my toddlers to eat more of them.  I still have to do that....but I find it surprising that I'm often putting those veggies in their breakfast!

Breakfast is a favorite meal around here, lunch is next, and dinner is a distant third (for the kiddos).  Little Alex is not a picky eater.  He'll eat just about anything if he is hungry (which is most of the time) and that includes veggies.  Aaron, on the other hand, is pretty picky.  He loves breakfast foods like cereal, oatmeal and pancakes.  And for lunch he really loves yogurt and hummus (he'll even eat the occasional carrot stick) but dinner?  Nope.  He doesn't like dinner.  I'm convinced it is mainly the time rather than the food because though we are trying to stay dedicated to feeding the kids what we eat for dinner, even if I tempt him with his beloved yogurt, he only takes a few small bites.  He apparently wants most of his calories in the morning/afternoon and that is ok with me.

But that does mean that getting him to eat veggies at a meal when veggies aren't often served, breakfast, is important.  So I thought I'd round up a few of our favorite breakfast recipes that include (hidden!) veggies for those of you with picky eaters or just dinner-haters.  :)

Breakfast foods with Veggies!

Pineapple and Carrot Muffins 


Sweet Potato and Blueberry Pancakes

Pumpkin Pancakes

Banana Zucchini Bread



Pumpkin Oatmeal... I actually don't have a recipe for this.  I usually just make a big batch of oatmeal as usual but stir in about a cup of pumpkin puree and some brown sugar and cinnamon to taste.  Easy peasy and delicious.  It stores in the refrigerator for a few days too, which is nice.

Smoothies!  Another one we make a lot but don't use a recipe for.  Mr Pears actually makes the smoothies around here and he just tosses in whatever we have on hand.  You can add broccoli, kale or spinach to just about any kind of fruit smoothie and though it will turn green, it won't taste "green". My kids love their green smoothies!

This post is linked to:

multiples monday with capri +3

More the Merrier Monday

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Those hidden veggie breakfasts sound delicious. We will have to try them. Thank you for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete