Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Colored Water Play

Now my boys may be a bit young for painting with water colors, but man do they love playing with some colored water.  This super simple and almost mess free art project keeps them occupied happily for up to an hour some days.

To get the fun started I set the boys up in their boosters at the kitchen table (which I cover with a sheet) and I give them each a white utility towel to use as a canvas. I add a few drops of food coloring to small ramekins of water.  Each boy gets two ramekins each of colored water, a spoon and a liquid medicine dropper (I use the ones from our old Poly Vi Sol vitamin containers).



They go to town sprinkling colored water onto their white towels and making abstract masterpieces.  After a while they start adding water from one container to the other and watching the colors change. And they just love just pouring the water back and forth as well, trying not to spill. :)








The final works of art....




The colored water doesnt stain anything and the excess water is easily mopped up with the sheet. Happy creative boys make a happy Mama but even more so when there is no mess!  I hope your toddlers enjoy this simple play idea as much as my little guys.  Have fun out there!

This post is linked to:

Artsy Play Wednesday with Capri +3


Head over there for even more great play ideas!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea. I love that you use the towel as a canvas. It is a great way to absorb the water and to watch it spread into an abstract fun art piece.

    : 0 ) Theresa

    ReplyDelete