Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Christmas Cookies

It just isn't Christmas without cookies, is it?  Ok, I know I know, Christmas has nothing to do with cookies but I like cookies, a lot.  And Christmas is such a great excuse to explore as many new recipes (and old favorites) as possible.  You can share them with visitors, give them as gifts, eat them yourself....

Last week this guy made his way back onto my kitchen counter, just waiting for his belly to be filled with cookie yumminess.



I'm not usually one for "whimsical" decor....but this snowman is just plain cute and I have to make some concessions for my two 2 year-olds.  And those boys know where the cookies come from.  They can't say "cookie"  yet but they can point at the pot-bellied snowman just fine. :)

So here is a round up of my current favorite cookies, and some links to some I want to try but haven't yet.  I hope you enjoy them.  Feel free to leave me a link to your favorite cookie recipe in the comments, I'm always hunting for more great cookies!

Ginger Cookies - my all-time favorite, these stay soft and chewy for days...if they somehow manage to stick around for days....



Cherry-Almond Crinkles - I adapted the recipe from BHG leaving out the candy center which I though was a bit much.  I just scooped the dough onto sheets and flattened them slightly before baking them for 10 minutes.  They are so good!  I love the almond flavor with the sweet cherries and they are very pretty too.  Perfect for gifts.

Lemon Crinkles - soft and lemony but not too sweet, delicious and very easy to make.



Cocoa  Thumbprints - (they are pictured above with Frosty the cookie jar) these are light and airy and so pretty with festive sprinkles or candies on top

Classic Sugar Cookies - these have a touch of almond in them as well which I think really makes them so flavorful.  I can't wait to decorate some with my boys this year!  PS. there is also a link to a great Royal Icing tutorial in that post.



New recipes I want to try:

Gingerbread Men - another one I think will be fun to do with the kiddos.  The recipe I linked has a ton of good reviews on AllRecipes.com and I am looking forward to trying it out.

Peanut butter Reindeer - Click the link and tell me, how cute are these?  And they look so easy to do too.

So that's it!  Happy Baking... and eating...




No comments:

Post a Comment